"HAWKLEY, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Selborne, county Hants, 5 miles N. of Petersfield, its post town. The population is mostly agricultural, the land being chiefly arable. There are also hop grounds. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £65. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a National school. The Independents have a chapel. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hawkley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hawkley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Hawkley from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU755294 (Lat/Lon: 51.059386, -0.924225), Hawkley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)