"HERRIARD, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke division of county Hants, 4½ miles S.E. of Basingstoke, its post town and railway station on the South-Western line. It contains the tything of Southrope. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £288 15s., and the vicarial for £200. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £147. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, the tower of which fell down more than two centuries ago. There is a school capable of accommodating 100 children, supported by F. J. E. Jervoise, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and resides at Herriard House, a mansion situated in the midst of an extensive and well-wooded park, 7 miles in circumference. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]