"HOLDENHURST, a parish in the liberty of Westover, Ringwood division of county Hants, 7 miles S. of Ringwood railway station, and 3 miles W. of Christchurch. The village is situated .on the river Stour, which abounds with excellent salmon. The parish comprises the tythings of Maccleshell, Muscliffe, and Throop. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Christchurch, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was built in 1834. There is a place of worship for the Independents. The National school is supported by voluntary contributions. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holdenhurst to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Holdenhurst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Holdenhurst from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SZ102937 (Lat/Lon: 50.742419, -1.856603), Holdenhurst which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)