"HOUGHTON, a parish in the hundreds of King's-Sombourn and Buddlesgate, Romsey division of county Hants, 4½ miles from Dunbridge railway station, and 2 S. of Stockbridge. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Test, near the Andover canal. The chief part of the land is fit for agricultural purposes. It is a meet for Mr. Farquharson's hounds. The old racecourse was broken up, and the land is now under cultivation, but a new course has been formed on the same down, at a short distance from the former one. Courts leet and baron are held annually. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £438, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a wooden tower containing three bells. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Rev. Richard Townsend is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]