"HURSTBOURNE-TARRANT, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Pastrow, Andover division of county Hants, 5½ miles N.W. of Andover, its post town, and 10½ S.W. of the Newbury railway station. The village, which is considerable, is situated in a narrow valley on the river Swift, which flows only during certain periods. The surface is hilly, but fertile. There are extensive woods and commons. It comprises the hamlets of Ibthorp, Upton, and Corrholt. The road from Newbury to Andover crosses the parish. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,340, and the vicarial for £402. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]