"NORTHWOOD, a parish in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight, county Hants, 2 miles N.W. of Newport, its post town. The parish, which is extensive, contains the chapelry and town of West Cowes [which see]. It is bounded on the E. by the navigable river Medina, on the W. by the Newtown river, on the N. by the sea, and on the S. by the Forest of Parkhurst. It is traversed from N. to S. by the road from West Cowes to Newport. The surface slopes gently towards the banks of the Medina. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage* of Carisbrooke, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, including a rent-charge of £15, bequeathed in 1687 by J. Mann for the maintenance of orphans. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|All Saints, Gurnard|
|Holy Trinity, West Cowes|
|St Faith, Cowes|
|St John the Baptist, Northwood|
|St Mary, Cowes|
|Cowes Baptist, Cowes|
|Church, Cowes, Methodist|
|St Thomas of Canterbury, West Cowes, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Northwood to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Northwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SZ477938 (Lat/Lon: 50.742206, -1.325183), Northwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)