"KING'S WORTHY, a parish in the hundreds of Lower Fawley and Mitcheldever, county Hants, 2 miles N.E. of Winchester. It is situated in the vale of the river Itchen, and includes the tything of Abbot's Worthy. The London and South-Western railway passes through the parish. The land, which is chiefly arable, is the property of Sir F. T. Baring, Bart., and G. E. Wall, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The soil is chalky. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £460. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has been recently enlarged and repaired. The register commences in the early part of the 16th century. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]