"LAVERSTOKE, a parish in the hundred of Overton, Kingsclere division of the county Hants, 2 miles N.E. of Whitchurch, its post town, and 5 N.W. of Andover Road railway station. It is situated near the South-Western railway. The village, which is small, is situated in the valley of the Test, a rivulet rising within 2 miles of the parish, with trout of excellent quality. The paper for the Bank of England notes has been manufactured here since 1719. The soil is chiefly clay, on a substratum of chalk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £180. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice situated in the park. It contains several tablets of the Portal family. There is a free school, supported by Melville Portal, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at Laverstoke House, rebuilt at the commencement of the present century, under the supervision of Bonone. It is situated on gently rising ground. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Laverstoke to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Laverstoke has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Laverstoke from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU504490 (Lat/Lon: 51.237556, -1.279821), Laverstoke which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)