"MILFORD, a parish in the hundreds of Christchurch and Ringwood, county Hants, 4 miles S.W. of Lymington, its post town. It is bounded on the S.E. by the isle of Wight Channel, and is a coastguard station near Hurst Castle, The parish includes the tythings of Key-Haven, Efford, and Pennington. A rivulet, which rises in the New Forest, flows through the parish, and is well stocked with trout and other fish. The surface is varied, and includes about 230 acres of unenclosed common. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £92, and the vicarial for £290. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]