"MILFORD, a parish in the hundreds of Christchurch and Ringwood, county Hants, 4 miles S.W. of Lymington, its post town. It is bounded on the S.E. by the isle of Wight Channel, and is a coastguard station near Hurst Castle, The parish includes the tythings of Key-Haven, Efford, and Pennington. A rivulet, which rises in the New Forest, flows through the parish, and is well stocked with trout and other fish. The surface is varied, and includes about 230 acres of unenclosed common. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £92, and the vicarial for £290. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Milford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Milford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Milford from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SZ302936 (Lat/Lon: 50.741635, -1.573963), Milford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)