"MILTON, a parish in the hundred of Christchurch, county Hants, 7 miles W. of Lymington, its post town, and 6 S. of the Christchurch Road railway station. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated on Christchurch Bay, about midway between the towns of Christchurch and Lymington; it contains the hamlets of Ashley, Bashley, Earton, Chewton, Gore, and Wootton, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Milford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a modern structure, with its original square tower containing two bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans have places of worship. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]