"MILTON, a parish in the hundred of Christchurch, county Hants, 7 miles W. of Lymington, its post town, and 6 S. of the Christchurch Road railway station. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated on Christchurch Bay, about midway between the towns of Christchurch and Lymington; it contains the hamlets of Ashley, Bashley, Earton, Chewton, Gore, and Wootton, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Milford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a modern structure, with its original square tower containing two bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans have places of worship. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Our Lady of Lourdes, New Milton|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Milton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Milton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Milton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SZ235965 (Lat/Lon: 50.767341, -1.667733), Milton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)