"MONK SHERBORNE, (or West), a parish in the hundred of Basingstoke, county Hants, 3½ miles NW. of Basingstoke, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Kingsclere. The village is of small extent. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The parish includes the tything of Pamber. The surface is undulating and well wooded, about two-thirds being arable, and the remainder woodland and meadow. The soil is clayey, upon a substratum of chalk. The impropriate tithes belong to Queen's College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £50, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monk Sherborne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Monk Sherborne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Monk Sherborne from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU621551 (Lat/Lon: 51.291994, -1.110135), Monk Sherborne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)