"MONK SHERBORNE, (or West), a parish in the hundred of Basingstoke, county Hants, 3½ miles NW. of Basingstoke, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Kingsclere. The village is of small extent. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The parish includes the tything of Pamber. The surface is undulating and well wooded, about two-thirds being arable, and the remainder woodland and meadow. The soil is clayey, upon a substratum of chalk. The impropriate tithes belong to Queen's College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £50, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]