"NORTHINGTON, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Mitcheldever, county Hants, 31, miles N.W. of New Alresford, its post town, and 6 S. E. of the Andover railway station. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The soil is fertile and the scenery diversified. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Swarraton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. John, was rebuilt by Lord Ashburton in 1830, at an expense of £1,500. It has a tower containing three bells. Grange Park, formerly the seat of the earls of Northington, which title is now extinct, is a mansion built by Inigo Jones. It is now the property of Lord Ashburton, who is the lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]