"QUARLEY, a parish in the upper half division of Andover hundred, county Hants, 6 miles W. of Andover, its post town, and 16 N.W. of Winchester. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under Quarley Hill, and is wholly agricultural. On the abovementioned hill is a double-ditched camp, with an entrenchment traversing Cholderton Hill, and various tumuli are scattered over the adjacent downs. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of pasture and woodland. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £341. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £289, in the patronage of St. Katherine's Hospital, London. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, with a wooden tower containing three bells. There is a free school for both sexes. The Marquis of Winchester is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]