"ROMSEY, (or Rumsey), a parish, post and market town, and municipal borough, locally in the lower half hundred of King's Somborne, Romsey division of county Hants, 73 miles S.W. of London, by road, or 80 by the South-Western railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on the left bank of the river Test, here grossed by a bridge, and the Andover canal runs through the town. Romsey is one of the most ancient towns in England, and has been classed by Dr. Stukely as a Roman city under the name of Arminis; the journal of the British Archæological Association also records the finding of Roman coins in the neighbourhood. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]