"ROPLEY, a parish in the lower half division of Bishop's-Sutton hundred, county Hants, 4 miles E. of New Alresford, its post town. The parish, which is large, is wholly agricultural. It is a meet for Mr. Scotland's harriers. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £240, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Bishop's Sutton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a wooden tower containing five bells. It is an ancient structure, but was restored and enlarged in 1848. There is a National school for this parish and that of Bishop's Sutton. Dr. Sutton, Archbishop of Canterbury, was born in this parish. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]