"SHERFIELD-UPON-LODDON, a parish in the lower half division of the hundred of Basingstoke, county Hants, 4 miles N. of Basingstoke, its post town, and 5 S. of Mortimer railway station. The village is situated at the mouth of the river Loddon, and is chiefly agricultural. The Bramshill hounds meet in this parish. The land is partly in common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £674 10s., and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £544. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure with a wooden tower. The parochial charities produce about £70 per annum, of which £25 go to Christmas's school. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. P. P. S. Conant, Esq., is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]