National Gazetteer (1868) - Southwick
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"SOUTHWICK, a parish in the hundred of Portsdown, county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Fareham, its post town, and 3 N. of Porchester railway station. The village is considerable, and near Bere Forest. The parish includes the manor of Aplestede. It had formerly a priory of Black Canons, in which Henry VI. was married to Margaret of Anjou. At the Dissolution the revenues were returned at £257, and the site given to the Whites. The living is a donative curacy,* annexed to that of Boarhunt, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a square tower containing four bells and a brass to J. White, date 1567. The parochial charities produce about £150 per annum, chiefly the endowment of Thistlethwayte's school, of recent foundation."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]