St Mary Bourne
"ST. MARY BOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Upper Evingar, Kingsclere division of the county of Southampton, 3 miles to the N.W. of Whitchurch railway station, and 5 N.E. from Andover, its post town. It includes the tythings of Binley, Bourne, Egburg, Stoke, and Week, and part of Swampton. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Hurstbourne-Priors, in the diocese of Winchester, of the joint annual value of £202, in the gift of the bishop. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £110. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient Norman structure, with pointed arches, resting on massive pillars. It has a square embattled tower, and contains a curious font, hewn out of a block of black marble; of which there are said to be only three other examples in England. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The Earl of Portsmouth is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Mary Bourne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Mary Bourne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for St Mary Bourne from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU418513 (Lat/Lon: 51.259001, -1.402388), St Mary Bourne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)