"STEVENTON, a parish in the hundred of Basingstoke, Kingsclere division of county Hants, 5 miles N.E. of Andover, 3 S.E. of Overton, and 7 S.W. of Basingstoke. The village, which is small, is situated on the South-Western road. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £485. The church, an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has been restored. There is a free school supported by E. Knight, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The manor-house, an ancient building, is the principal residence. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]