"STOCKBRIDGE, a parish, post, and market town in the upper division of Thorngate hundred, having separate jurisdiction, but locally in county Hants, 9 miles N. of Romsey, and 9 N. W. of Winchester. It is a station on the Andover and Southampton branch of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the river Test and the Andover and Redbridge canal, the former being celebrated for its trout fishing. It is a petty sessions town, and until disfranchised by the Reform bill returned two members to parliament. The town consists of one long street, forming part of the great western road, with the townhall standing nearly in the centre. There were formerly numerous small bridges over the branches of the Test, which intersect the main street, but these have recently been taken down except one, and the whole has been arched over. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]