"STOKE-CHARITY, a parish in the upper division of Buddlesgate hundred, county Hants, 3 miles S.W. of Micheldever, its post town, and 7 N. of Winchester. The village is situated near the South Western railway. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £389, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient, massive edifice, containing several singular monumental inscriptions. Sir William Heathcote is lord of the manor. There is a parochial school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stoke Charity to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke Charity has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Stoke Charity from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU486376 (Lat/Lon: 51.135575, -1.307416), Stoke Charity which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)