"WARNFORD, a parish in the upper half of Meon-Stoke hundred, county Hants, 7 miles N.E. of Bishop's Waltham, and 92 1 S.W. of Petersfield. The village is situated on the Titchfield rivulet. The parish includes the hamlet of Riversdown. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Hugh de Port, ancestor of the St. Johns of Basing, who had a mansion here called King John's House, built of flints set in grout-work, 80 feet by 54 feet, with walls four feet thick. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £502. The church, founded by the Saxon Wilfrid, contains several monuments, a Norman font, and an old confessional. The tower was rebuilt by Adam de Port after the Conquest. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, erected at the expense of E. R. Tunno, Esq., by whom it is supported. Warnford House and Belmont Cottage are the principal residences. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]