"WIELD, a parish in the hundred of Bishop's Sutton, county Hants, 6 miles W. of Alton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £70. The church, dedicated to St. James, contains a monument to Sir Richard Wallop, an ancestor of the Earl of Portsmouth. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Wield from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU628396 (Lat/Lon: 51.152402, -1.10301), Wield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)