"WYMERING, a parish in the hundred of Portsdown, county Hants, 4 miles E. of Fareham, 4 from Portsmouth, and 1 mile N.W. of Cosham railway station. The parish, which is situated on Portsmouth Harbour, under Portsdown Hill, includes the northern end of Portsea island, the islets of Great and Little Horsea, and the village of Hilsea, where are the Royal Artillery barracks built in 1854, and strong lines of fortifications which have recently been greatly strengthened. The population in 1861 was 1,071. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, annexed to the rectory of Widley, joint value £678. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, or to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient Norman structure. The Independents have a chapel. There is a National school, also almshouses for 4 widows, founded by Mrs. Honor Wait in the reign of Elizabeth. The charities produce £15 per annum. Thomas Thistlewaite, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wymering to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wymering has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Wymering from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU650067 (Lat/Lon: 50.856317, -1.078162), Wymering which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)