Hide

Aconbury, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ACONBURY, (or Acornbury), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles S. of Hereford, and 21 S.W. from Holme Lacy railway station. It is situated on the turnpike road from Hereford to Ross, and possesses scenery of romantic description, which is blended with woodland. In the reign of King John, Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy, founded here a nunnery of the Augustine order, to the honour of the Holy Cross. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £75. There are some stone coffins still preserved, but the remains of the building have been converted into a farm-house. On Aconbury Hill, from which there is an extensive view, are traces of a large Roman encampment, with the eastern rampart clearly distinguishable. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £258, in the patronage of the governors of Guy's Hospital, to whom the manor belongs, with Aconbury wood."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]