Hide

Brimfield, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BRIMFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, in the county of Hereford, 5 miles to the S. of Ludlow, and half a mile S.W. of Wofferton railway station. It lies on the S. side of the river Teme, near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, and contains the hamlet of Wyson. The Kington and Leominster canal is carried across the Tome near this village. Part of the land is laid out in hop-grounds, and there is a tract of common. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £98, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a plain edifice with a tower, which was rebuilt in 1834. The register is ancient. There is a small Dissenting chapel, and a National school in course of erection. The charities amount to 5s. yearly. The celebrated Nunupton Oak, measuring 36 feet in circumference, formerly stood in this parish, but it has lately fallen."

"WYSON, a hamlet in the parish of Brimfield, county Hereford, 4 miles W. of Tenbury."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]