Clehonger, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CLEHONGER, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, in the county of Hereford, 3 miles S.W. of Hereford, and 4 from the Hereford railway station. It is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, and was long held by the Aubrey and Pembridge families. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure in the Gothic style, and contains several handsome painted windows. The Roman Catholics have a chapel and schools. There are National schools for both sexes. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. Belmont, the residence of Francis Brosser, Esq., is a fine mansion."
"ABBY SHEEPCOT, a hamlet in the parish of Clehonger, near the village of Clehonger, in the hundred of Webtree, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles from the Hereford railway station, on the bank of the river Wye."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]