Hide

HEMINGFORD GREY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)

"HEMINGFORD GREY, a parish in the hundred of TOSELAND, county of HUNTINGDON, 1 mile (W; by S.) from St. Ives, containing 475 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £9.16.10., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. James. The river Ouse passes the village. Cowper, the poet, wrote "The Dog and the Water Lily" when on a visit here."

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]