Hide

TOSELAND: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]

"TOSELAND, the parish of Toseland lies upon clay, with a sub-soil of Oxford clay and Ampthill clay, growing cereal crops. the land is high and mainly agricultural. Gallow Brook runs through the south of the parish. Various Roman remains have been found in the village and near Toseland Wood, and the parish is crossed by a Roman road.

The parish, it is supposed, takes its name from Earl Toglos or Toli, and gives it to the Hundred of Toseland. A large rough irregularly shaped sarsen-stone (2ft. 8ins. by 1 ft. 7ins. by 9 ins. deep) in the churchyard against the south wall of the church is locally known as the 'Moot-Stone', and is said to be the ancient Hundred Stone. A portion of the Roman road here is also known as Moats or Moots way. Any importance which may have been attached to the village as a meeting place of the Hundred had been lost by the 11th century when, in the time of Edward the Confessor, it was one of three berewicks in Great Paxton, and is not mentioned by name in the Domesday survey of 1086. Its lands were intermixed with those of Great Paxton at the time of the inclosure of the two parishes under a private Act of Parliament in 1811.

the village is composed of some scattered cottages and houses lying along the by-road from Yelling, which joins the St. Neots to Godmanchester road at Great Paxton. The church is in the middle of the village which includes some 17th century half-timbered houses. At the west end of the village is Toseland hall, which was probably built by Sir Nicholas Luke who succeeded his father, John, in 1566 and died in 1613. the remains of a wide and deep moat are to be found in Toseland Wood to the north of the village.

Whilst the parish has always had a separate civil identity this did nor extend ecclesiastically; the parish is part of Great Paxton for this purpose."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]