"BILSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Newchurch, and partly in the liberty of Romney Marsh, lathe of Shepway, in the county of Kent, 6 miles to the S. of Ashford. Hythe is its post town. It is situated on the Grand Military canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £52, in the patronage of Lady Cosway. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The manor, once held by the Earls of Arundel by the tenure of bearing the cup at the coronation, now belongs to Lady Cosway. At a farm-house, on an elevated spot in this parish, are some remains of an Augustine priory, founded here in 1253 by John Mansell, provost of Beverley. It was valued at the Dissolution at £81, and was granted to the Archbishop of Canterbury."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]