"CHELSFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Ruxley, and lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 6 miles S.E. of Bromley, and 2 from Orpington. Chiselhurst is its post town. It is situated on the high road between London and Seven Oaks. The living is a rectory annexed to which is the curacy of Farnborough, value together, £876, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the patronage of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a neatly constructed edifice in the early English style, and contains four brasses of priests of the 15th century. Here are National schools for both sexes, partly supported by contributions. William Waring, Esq., is lord of the manor. There is a small endowment for the repairs of the church, and for the benefit of the poor; also six almshouses and six acres of parish land. In the vicinity is Lullingston Park, the seat of Sir P. H. Dyke, Bart."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]