"GREENWICH, a parish, market town, and parliamentary borough in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 4 miles S.E. of London, of which it is now a suburb, and with which it is connected by a line of railway, about 3¾ miles in length, supported on arches the whole of the distance from London Bridge and Charing Cross. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Thames, and gives name to one of the metropolitan boroughs, returning two members to the British parliament. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]