"IWADE, a parish in the hundred of Milton, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles N. of Sittingbourne, 13 N.E. of Rochester, and 2 N.W. of Milton, its post town. The village, which is very small, is situated on the river Swale. The parish is bounded on the N.W. by Stangate Creek, and on the north-eastern side is King's Ferry. This ferry is crossed by means of a cable 140 fathoms long, by which the ferrymen pull their boat over. A great portion of the parish is moorland. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £533 16s. 3d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £70, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small ancient edifice with a low steeple. There are the remains of ancient military earthworks on Swaines Down."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]