"RODMERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Milton, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 1½ mile S.E. of Sittingbourne, its post town, and 10 miles S.E. of Chatham. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The Tickham hounds meet in this parish. The land is partly in hop-grounds. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £412, and the vicarial for £142, and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £115. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, originally belonged to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. It is a large ancient structure, with a square embattled tower at the W. end, built of square bricks. The interior of the church contains four canopied stalls, and a stained figure of Edward the Confessor. There are two Sunday-schools, also a place of worship for the Bible Christians."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]