FORTON, a township in Garstang parish, Lancashire; on the Preston canal and the Preston and Lancaster railway, 4 miles N of Garstang. Acres, 1, 278. Real property, £2,663; of which £55 are in quarries. Pop., 574. Houses, 131. There is an Independent chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"FORTON, a township in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine Lancaster, 4 miles N. of Garstang. It is situated in the vicinity of the Lancaster and Preston railway. The Preston canal passes through the township. The village is considerable. The Independents have a chapel."