Burial ground Society of Friends, Dunnerdale
This small square enclosure, sometimes called The Sepulchre, can normally only be reached by a cross-country hike along paths and tracks. The last burial allegedly took place in 1755 (according to "Duddon Valley History", a booklet by J C Cooper, no date, c1970).
There is no Society of Friends meeting house nearby, although rough stone seats for those attending are built into some sections of the interior walls. Across the River Duddon in Cumberland was a small Quaker community, which met at Woodend, Birker Fell, until about 1752.
No memorials. No records. It is very likely now impossible to name with certainty a single individual buried here. There are one or two references of possible interest in the chapel registers from nearby Ulpha (Cumberland), including:
9 Apr 1738 Elizabeth d. Joseph Tyson, Quaker, of Woodend, baptised [Bishop's Transcripts - 'converted to be a Xtian.']
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)