West Derby, Lancashire genealogy
DERBY (West), a village, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred in Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles N by W of Broad-Green r. station, and 4 ENE of Liverpool post office; has a post office under Liverpool; and had a castle before the Conquest. The parish includes also Kensington, Stanley, Knotty-Ash, and other hamlets, and part of the borough and suburbs of Liverpool; contains a botanic garden, a zoological garden, a lunatic asylum, and a large industrial school; and was only a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill till 1847. Acres, 6,123. Rated property, £232,783. Pop. in 1841, 16,864; in 1861, 52,694. Houses, 9,239. Pop. of the portion within Liverpool borough, in 1841. 9,760: in 1861, 36,527. Houses, 6,378. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,300. Patron, the Rev. J. Stewart. The vicarages of Fairfield and St. Catherine, and the p. curacies of Stanley, Knotty-Ash, St. James, St. Jude, St. Stephen, and St. Mary are separate benefices. Value of St. Catherine, £230; of St. Ann, £78; of St. Jude and St. Mary, each £300; of St. Stephen, £300; of the others, not reported. Patrons of Fairfield, the Bushby family; of St. Catherine, St. John, St. Jude, and St. Stephen, Trustees; of Stanley, the Rev. T. Garner; of St. James, Mrs. Reade; of St. Mary, J. Stewart, Esq. The sub-district contains also the extra-parochial tract of Croxteth-Park. Acres, 7,076. Pop., 52,740. Houses, 9,248. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Toxteth-Park, conterminate with the extra-parochial tract of Toxteth-Park; the sub-district of Everton, containing the townships of Everton and Kirkdale in Walton-on-the-Hill parish; the sub-district of Walton, containing the townships of Walton-on-the-Hill, Bootle-cum-Lin-acre, Fazakerley, and Kirkby, in Walton-on-the-Hill parish; the sub-district of Crosby, containing the chapelry of Great Crosby, and the townships of Little Crosby, Ince-Blundell, and Thornton, in Sephton parish; the sub-district of Litherland, containing the townships of Litherland, Lunt, Sephton, Netherton, Aintree, and Orelland-Ford, in Sephton parish; and the sub-district of Wavertree, containing the townships of Wavertree, Childwall, Allerton, and Garston in Childwall parish. Acres, 50,567. Poor-rates, in 1862, £34,054. Pop., in 1841, 88,680; in 1861, 225,845. Houses, 37,343. Marriages in 1860, 1,457; births, 7,751, of which 218 were illegitimate; Deaths, 4,490, of which 1,985 were at ages under 5 years, and 48 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 12,179; births, 67,675; deaths, 43,083. The places of worship in 1851 were 37 of the Church of England, with 32,680 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 3, 986 s.: 5 of Baptists, with 2, 950 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 260 s.; 15 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 6, 078 s.; 1 of New Connexion Methodists, with 650 s.; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 211 s.; 2 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 1,584 s.; 9 undefined, with 778 s.; 13 of Roman Catholics, with 6,499 s.; and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 20 attendants. The schools were 73 public day schools, with 16,447 scholars; 205 private day schools, with 4,903 s.; 65 Sunday schools, with 11,647 s.; and 9 evening schools for adults, with 298 s. The workhouse is in Everton. The hundred contains fourteen parishes and part of another. Acres, 280,319. Pop., in 1851, 202,218; in 1861, 263,716. Houses, 47,884.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)