Skip to main content
- The Billesdon Union was established by the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act and was formed in 1836.
- The Billesdon Union included 36 parishes; Allexton, Billesdon, Burton Overy, Bushby, Carlton Curlieu, Cold Newton, East Norton, Evington, Frisby, Galby, Glen Magna, Goadby, Great Stretton, Halstead, Houghton-on-the-Hill, Humberstone, Hungarton, Illston-on-the-Hill, Keyham, King's Norton, Little Stretton, Loddington, Lowesby, Marefield, Newton Harcourt, Nosely, Owston, Rolleston, Scraptoft, Skeffington, Stoughton, Thurnby, Tilton, Tugby, Whatborough, Wistow and Withcote.
- The number and names of parishes in the Union would vary over time. In 1892, Evington and Humberstone parishes were transferred to Leicester Poorlaw Union.
- The Union Workhouse was 9 miles east of Leicester city.
- The Union House was built on rising ground on the north side of Billesdon village. It was designed to hold 100 inmates.
- The Union House was completed and opened in January, 1846.
- The Board of Guardians met on alternate Mondays at the Workhouse.
- 1881: Thomas INGRAM, Clerk to the Board of Guardians; Robert HORSPOOL, workhouse master; W. F. FRANKS, surgeon; Rev. WIlliam Greville HAZLERIGG, chaplain; Mrs. Elizabeth HORSPOOL, workhouse matron.
- 1899: W. E. RICHARDSON, Clerk to the Board of Guardians; William Unwin HEYGATE, Treasurer; Thomas Kerr HAMBY, relieving officer; William WADKIN, workhouse master; Edward WILLIAMS, medical officer; Rev. Charles Rowland FOWKE, chaplain, Mrs. Emma WADKIN, workhouse matron.
- 1912: William Henry KENDALL, chairman; Walter Edward RICHARDSON, Clerk to the Board of Guardians; Samuel Francis STONE, Treasurer; William WADKIN, workhouse master; Edward Kynaston WILLIAMS, medical officer; Rev. George CHRISTIAN, chaplain, Mrs. Emma WADKIN, workhouse matron.
- 1925: William Henry KENDALL, chairman; Walter Edward RICHARDSON, Clerk to the Board of Guardians; Oliver WEAVER, Treasurer; Sydney John SMITH, workhouse master; Edward Kynastan WILLIAMS, M.A. medical officer; Rev. Frederick WILSON, B.A., chaplain, Mrs. Louie SMITH, workhouse matron.