Hide

Leicester Forest East

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"LEICESTER-FOREST (EAST and WEST), two extraparochial tracts in Blaby district, Leicestershire; from 2½ to 5 miles S of Leicester. Acres, about 700. Real property, £1,387. Pop., 82 and 51. Houses, 16 and 9. The property is divided chiefly among three.
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Enderby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 601
1861 R.G. 9 / 2258
1871 R.G. 10 / 3234
1891 R.G. 12 / 2501
topup

Church History

  • The Methodists chapel was opened in 1931.
     
  • There was no Anglican parish church here for many centuries. The parishioners raised money and built Saint Andrew's church in 1966.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • In 1977, the Methodists sold their chapel and built a meeting hall next to St. Andrews with a common vestible and office.
     
  • Visit the St. Andrew's Church website for more information.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1966.
     
  • The Jehovah's Witnesses have a Meeting Hall on Hinckley Road.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Enderby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Leicester Forest East is about 4 miles (5km) west of the City of Leicester and became a parish in its own right in April 1986. The parish traditionally covered only 583 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the parish lies right on the M1 motorway.
     
  • There is no passenger rail service to Leicester Forest East, although freight trains do pass by the village. If Phase Two of the Ivanhoe Line begins, there will be passenger service to Leicester, Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Coalville.
     
  • There is daily bus service from Leicester city.
     
You can see pictures of Leicester Forest East which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Leicester Forest East has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • This was long a place popular with woodcutters and graziers.
     
  • The parish developed rapidly between 1920 and 1985, with large housing tracts going up in the 1960s.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK531031 (Lat/Lon: 52.622643, -1.217251), Leicester Forest East which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place became a modern Civil Parish in 1858 as a result of population growth in the area.
     
  • The parish was in the Sparkenhoe Hundred (Wapentake) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In March, 1885, this parish was reduced in size to enlarge Kirby Muxloe Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1935, this parish was abolished and all 620 acres were amalgamated into Kirby Muxloe Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1986, this parish was reincorporated.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Blaby District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 53
1841 62
1851 81
1871 89
1881 77
1891 96
1901 107
1911 100
1921 116
topup

Schools

  • The L. F. E. Primary School, Stafford Leys, is a relatively new school, opening in 1966. The webpage author could find no website or history.
     
  • The parish also was home to Holmfield Primary School, but that school closed in July, 2010.