Hide

Peatling Parva

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"PEATLING-PARVA, a parish, with a village, in Lutterworth district, Leicester; 3 ¾ miles E S E of Broughton-Astley r. station, and 4½ N E of Lutterworth. It has a post-office under Lutterworth. Acres, 870. Real property, £2,073. Pop., 168. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to T. F. Cook, Esq. P. Hall is the seat of J. S. Clark, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £158. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a neat edifice, with an embattled tower. Charities, £30."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)"

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 599
1861 R.G. 9 / 2247
1871 R.G. 10 / 3223
1891 R.G. 12 / 2490
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • The church was built in the 14th century.
     
  • The porch and tower were added in the 15th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1876.
     
  • The tower and spire were repaired in 1896.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1710.
     
  • The church was in the rural Guthlaxton deanery (third portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Peatling Parva is a parish and a village 10 miles south of Leicester city and 4.5 miles north-west of Lutterworth. The parish covers 964 acres.

The land around the village has been mostly farmland for centuries. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A426 north out of Lutterworth.
     
You can see pictures of Peatling Parva which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Peatling Parva has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Alia Petlinge.
     
  • A working men's institute was erected here in 1908.
     
  • The current Village Hall was built in 1989.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Shires Inn on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007.
     
topup

Manors

  • Little Peatling Hall is a large brick mansion which was occupied by Captain Harry Torriano PRITCHARD in 1912.
     
  • The Manor House was occupied by Col. William Alexander Stewart GEMMELL in 1925.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of Little Peatling Hall on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP588893 (Lat/Lon: 52.498444, -1.135282), Peatling Parva which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • There is a brass War Memorial plaque inside the church to Frederick PRENTICE who died in the second Boer War.
     
  • There is a marble War Memorial plaque inside the church to the 8 men who fell during World War I.
     
  • There is a War Memorial alabaster plaque inside the church to the 3 men who fell in World War II.
     
topup

Military Records

William Alexander Stewart GEMMELL would rise to the rank of Lieut.-Colonel in the 43rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery in 1918.

Captain Harry Torriano PRITCHFORD of Peatling Hall of the Scottish Borderers died 3 February 1920 aged 56. He had also served in the Lincoln Regiment.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish lies in the Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • For today's governance, the citizens have elected to have a Parish Meeting as needed instead of having a formal Parish Council.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 117
1831 174
1841 159
1851 215
1871 161
1881 147
1891 117
1911 120
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School was built in 1872 as a National School for 45 children. Average attendance was less than half that.