Hide

Shawell

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SHAWELL, a parish, with a village, in Lutterworth district, Leicester; 1¾ mile N N W of Lilbourne r. station, and 3 S of Lutterworth. Post-town, Rugby. Acres, 1,407. Real property, £2,460. Pop., 205. Houses, 47. The property is much subdivided. Roman bricks and tiles have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1866. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, alms-houses for six persons, and other charities £34."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872".

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 599
1861 R.G. 9 / 2248
1871 R.G. 10 / 3221
1891 R.G. 12 / 2489
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The church dates from before 1558.
     
  • The church is located south of the village.
     
  • The church was restored and largely rebuilt in 1865-66.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1558 and is in good condition.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Shawell is a village and civil parish in Leicestershire, England. It is 86.5 miles north of London and borders on Warwickshire along Watling Street. Catthorpe parish is to the south-east and Cotesbach parish to the north-west. Leicester city is 16 miles to the north. Shawell Brook rises in the parish to the east of the village and flows to the River Avon near Newton in Warwickshire. The parish covers 1,424 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the village lies about a mile between the arms of the V formed by the M1 and the M6 motorways. It is also at the junction of the A5 and the A426, so you have several choices for your drive.
     
  • Just off the A5, west of the village, is the site of the Roman town of Tripontium ("three bridges").
     
  • The nearest train service is probably in Rugby.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014. Consider stopping by and asking for a schedule of forth-coming events.
     
  • J. THOMAS also has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
     
You can see pictures of Shawell which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Shawell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Just west of the village on the A5, lies the site of the Roman town of Tripontium.
     
  • Michael WESTLEY has a photograph of the White Swan public house on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2010.
     
  • In the 1849 Post Office Directory, the White Swan is not listed. In the 1881 Kellys' Directory, the pub. is simply the "Swan".
     
topup

Manors

  • There is mention of a Manor House in the Directory of 1912.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of Shawell Hall, which is south of the village, on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP545803 (Lat/Lon: 52.417987, -1.200082), Shawell which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The Village Hall has been designated as the War Memorial Hall. The Hall is on the Lutterworth Road. There are no plaques or monuments other than the sign on the building.

topup

Military Records

There are two wall-mounted grey marble plaques inside the parish church for:

  1. Pvt. Archibald Edward JONES, 6th Leicestershire Rifles.
  2. Pvt Frederick GIBBONS, 3rd Leicester Regt.
topup

Names, Geographical

This parish has also been listed as "Shaduxle".

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1935, in order to smooth the parish boundaries along the border with Warwickshire (Watling Road), the parish was reduced in size by 28 acres to enlarge Churchover Civil Parish in Warwick. An additional 18 acres were given to Newton and Biggin Civil Parish in Warkwick.
     
  • The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal parish council. Instead, they have periodic Parish Meetings of the citizens to discuss civic and political issues.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
     
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1665.
     
  • The parish had six almshouses for poor men in 1849.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 203
1871 205
1881 205
1891 172
1901 138
1911 173
1921 181
1961 150
topup

Schools

  • There was a school endowed here in 1604 by Mr. John ELKINGTON. The children of Newton, Warwickshire, attended this school, also.
     
  • A "dame" School was founded here in 1730 by the Rev. Edward SHERRIER.
     
  • Both these schools were combined and replaced by a new school building built in 1871.