Description in 1871:
"STANTON-UNDER-BARDON, a township-chapelry in Thornton parish, Leicester; near Bardon Hill r. station, 1½ mile NW of Thornton village. Post town, Thornton, under Leicester. Acres, 1,400. Real property, £1,952. Pop., 312. Houses, 64. The manor belongs to Earl Grey. The living is annexed to Thornton. There is a Wesleyan chapel."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72