Hide

Witherley

hide
Hide

Description in 1887:
"Witherley, par., township, and vil., Leicestershire - par., 1570 ac., pop. 515; township, pop. 457; vil., 1 mile E. of Atherstone and 6 miles SW. of Market Bosworth; P.O.; in vicinity is Witherley House, seat."
[John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles," 1887]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Robert FARROW has a photograph of St. Peter's churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2013.

>p>Eirian EVANS also has a photograph of the Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2010.

 

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Atherstone sub-district of the Atherstone Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 603
1861 R.G. 9 / 2192
1871 R.G. 10 / 3166
1891 R.G. 12 / 2443
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church in Witherley is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • The church was built in the 14th century and has a tower and 5 bells.
     
  • The church chancel was rebuilt in 1858.
     
  • The church tower and spire were restored in 1895.
     
  • The church was restored in 1906.
     
  • The church seats 350.
     
  • Andy and Hilary have a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2005.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1564.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (first portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Atherstone sub-district of the Atherstone Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Witherley is a village, a township and a parish sitting on the east bank of the Anker River. The River and Watling Street separate the parish from the county of Warwick. This place is about a mile east of Atherstone (Warwick), 8 miles south-west of Market Bosworth, 7 miles north-west of Hinckley and 103 miles north of London. The parish covers 1,570 acres and includes the hamlet (and township) of Atterton.

The village sits in the hills in south-west Leicestershire. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A5, just east of Atherstone, turn north at the first opportunity for Witherley.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2008.
     
You can see pictures of Witherley which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Witherley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Much of the parish land was in pasturage.
     
  • The parish was the site of the "Atherstone Hunt".
     
  • Rob FARROW has a photograph of the Blue Lion pub. on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2013.
     
topup

Manors

  • The webpage author found mention of a Witherley house, Witherley Hall and "the manor", but no descriptions.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP327974 (Lat/Lon: 52.573443, -1.51893), Witherley which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The war Memorial is a wheel cross of granite in the parish churchyard. At last report (2014) it was overgrown with moss and lichen and needs to be professionally cleaned.

topup

Military Records

The parish has a war memorial plaque inside the parish church.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Township and Parish of Leicestershire.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred (Wapentake) in the southern (or western) division of the county.
     
  • In March, 1885, this parish was enlarged by gaining a part of Atterton Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by 640 acres when Atterton Civil Parish was abolished.
     
  • That same date, this parish was enlarged by 1138 acres when Fenny Drayton Civil Parish was abolished.
     
  • That same date, this parish gave up 148 acres to enlarge Mancetter Civil Parish in Warwickshire.
     
  • That same date, this parish gained 1,238 acres by the abolition of Ratcliffe Culey Civil Parish in Leicestershire.
     
  • You can check on the Witherley Parish Council page. Be aware that they will NOT assist with family history searches.
     
  • The Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council provide district governance.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Atherstone Poorlaw Union in Warwickshire.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Bosworth petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

Many of these figures are for the Chapelry boundaries and not the parish boundaries:

Year Inhabitants
1841 425
1871 453
1881 457
1891 455
1901 493
1911 482
1921 429
1931 468
1951 968
1961 703
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School was built in Atterton hamlet in 1875 and enlarged in 1900 to hold 120 students.
     
  • The Witherley CofE Primary School website no longer functions.
     
  • Eirian EVANS has a photograph of the Witherley Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2010.