Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CHIPPING BARNET, (or High Barnet) a parish and market town, chiefly in the hundred of Cashio, in the county of Hertford, but partly in the hundred of Edmonton, in the county of Middlesex, 11 miles to the N.E. of London, and 8 S. from Hatfield. " (There is more of this description).
"BENTLEY HEATH, (or Gladesmore) a hamlet near the village of Potter's Bar, in the parish of Chipping Barnet, in the hundred of Edmonton, and county of Middlesex, at a short distance from the great North road and Great Northern railway, about 3 miles from Barnet. An obelisk now marks the spot where the battle of Barnet was fought on this heath in 1471, in which the Earl of Warwick, the king-maker, was slain, and which settled Edward IV. on the throne. [This combines two texts from the 1868 gazetteer, one for Bentley Heath and one for Gladesmore. In 2003, battle is marked on map at Grid Ref. TQ247977, 1 mile South of Bentley Heath.]
"COCKFOSTERS, (or Cock Fosters)a hamlet in the parish of Chipping Barnet, hundred of Edmonton, in the county of Middlesex, 1½ mile E. of Barnet."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chipping Barnet to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chipping Barnet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ240960 (Lat/Lon: 51.649129, -0.209112), Chipping Barnet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)