Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KENSALL GREEN, a district parish in the parish of Willesden and Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles from Hyde Park corner, and 5 N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is a station on the North London railway. At this point the West London branch line turns off from the North-Western railway. Many new villas and streets have recently been built. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a new structure, dedicated to St. John. There are National and ragged schools, educating between 600 and 700 children. Kensall Green cemetery, comprising an area of about 50 acres, is situated here, and is the burial-place of the Duke of Sussex, Princess Sophia, Scott's daughters Anne and Sophia, Thackeray, Leech, and many distinguished persons. Here is a Roman Catholic cemetery. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kensal Green to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kensal Green has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ234827 (Lat/Lon: 51.529734, -0.222452), Kensal Green which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)