Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"NORWOOD PRECINCT, a chapelry in the parish of Hayes, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S. of Southall railway station, 3 miles N.W. of Brentford, and 2½ N.W. of Hounslow, its post town. The village, which is extensive, is situated on the Grand Junction canal, near the Great Western railway. The Precinct contains the hamlets of Norwood-Proper, Southall-Green, and a part of North-Hyde and Southall. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value £128. The church is a small rustic structure with a curious wooden belfry. It has been enlarged, and contains several old tombs. There are four almshouses, erected by the late John Robins in 1815. There is a free school, called Bicoe, founded by a gentleman of that name. The district church of St. John, at Southall-Green, built and endowed by Mr. Dobbs in 1839, and the Hanwell Lunatic Asylum, are included in this Precinct.
[2003 maps show Norwood Green which is in this area.]
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Norwood Precinct to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Norwood Precinct has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ134787 (Lat/Lon: 51.495878, -0.367832), Norwood Precinct which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)