Hide

Stoke Newington

hide
Hide

“STOKE NEWINGTON, a parish, and extensive suburban district of the metropolis, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. by E. of St. Paul's, and 3 N. of Shoreditch church. At Newington-road is a station on the North London railway. The village, which is of considerable antiquity, being mentioned in Domesday Survey, is no longer confined to its own parish of St. Mary, but extends into the adjoining parishes of West Hackney, Hornsey, and Islington.

It stands on the main road from the metropolis to Cambridge, and is bounded on the S. side, adjoining London, by the Kingsland-road and Shacklewell-lane; on the E. by Hackney brook, which separates it from Upper Clapton; on the N. and N.W. by the inner line of Abney Park Cemetery, where it adjoins Stamford Hill, and the Seven-Sisters-road, including the far-famed Manor House tavern, in the Green Lanes, which bound it on the W., until it reaches Stoke Newington Green, when it follows the line of the Newington-road to Ball's Pond, and thence E. to the Kingsland-road. The original village consisted principally of one long street extending from Kingsland-road to Stamford Hill; but within the last quarter of a century it has been increased by new lines of houses and villas erected in Park-street, Albion-road, Church-street, and other parts. The streets are paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are supplied with water from the New River, which pursues a serpentine course through the parish, and has here a large reservoir, with a steam-engine for forcing the water to the tops of the houses. Near the church is a walk between trees, called Queen Elizabeth's walk; and on the N. side of Church-street is the brick gateway of the old manor house, with its pointed arch. Part of the land not built upon is laid out as extensive nursery gardens; but the trade of the place depends on the resident population, and its situation as a great thoroughfare. The Abney Park Cemetery is situated to the N. of Church-street, and to the W. of the principal thoroughfare, in that part of the parish which adjoins Stamford Hill. It was, previously to being converted into a cemetery, the seat of Sir Thomas Abney, the friend of Dr. Watts, who wrote many of his sacred songs in an arbour, now fallen to decay, but the site of which is still railed off. The parish comprises also Highbury New Park, and part of Stoke Newington Common, as well as the much frequented grounds of the Manor House tavern. It is returned in the census of 1861 as comprising 650 acres, and having a population of 6,607. It is included within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court, and in the metropolitan N. postal district. Courts leet and baron for the manor are held annually. The manorial estate, which has belonged to the cathedral of St. Paul's since the Saxon times, is now administered by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, but still confers on the Rector of St.

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"STOKE NEWINGTON, a parish, and extensive suburban district of the metropolis, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. by E. of St. Paul's, and 3 N. of Shoreditch church. At Newington-road is a station on the North London railway. The village, which is of considerable antiquity, being mentioned in Domesday Survey, is no longer confined to its own parish of St. Mary, but extends into the adjoining parishes of West Hackney, Hornsey, and Islington. " (There is more of this description).

"PARADISE, a seat in the parish of Stoke Newington, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. by E. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the New River, in the borough of Finsbury, and long belonged to the Crawshays.

[Paradise Road on a map of 1888 becomes Collins Road on a 2003 map; Paradise Row on 1888 map is part of Stoke Newington Church Street on 2003 map; the adjacent park was Newington Park in 1888, and is Clissold Park in 2003.]"

 

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

You can see pictures of Stoke Newington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke Newington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ330864 (Lat/Lon: 51.560806, -0.082741), Stoke Newington which are provided by: