Westminster St Margaret
“KNIGHTSBRIDGE, a suburban district of London, partly in the parish of Westminster St. Margaret, Westminster, but chiefly in the parishes of Kensington and Chelsea, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, near Hyde Park Corner, and 3 miles W. of St. Paul's, London.
This place, anciently called Kingesbridge and Knyghtbrigg, was, until a recent date, considered dangerous for travellers approaching the metropolis by the great western road. It is now one of the most fashionable parts of the West End, containing Lowndes and Trevor squares, Wilton-crescent, Belgrave-square, and several large mansions overlooking Hyde Park. Great improvements have been effected by the removal of a large portion of the wall which formerly separated the park from the road, now protected by iron palisades, and by the erection of Rutland Gate, on the site of Rutland House. On the N. side, adjoining the park, are extensive cavalry barracks, and at the entrance from London, on the S. side of the road, is St. George's Hospital, founded in 1773, and once the seat of Lord Lanesborough. It contains also Kingston House, the Chinese Exhibition House, Archæological Association, and extensive ale brewery, &c. There are three churches-St. Paul's, a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £1,000, in the patronage of the Rector of St. Margaret's. The church, which stands in Wilton Place, was erected in 1840, at an expense of about £15,000. It is of brick and stone, with a lofty tower, in two stories, each having a window on its sides and front, and the whole terminating in a rich embattled parapet of open work, with eight crocketted pinnacles, four of which rise from the angles. Holy Trinity is also a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, which was rebuilt in 1789, originally belonged to an ancient hospital, or lazar-house, under the jurisdiction of the Abbot of Westminster. All Saints is a modern structure, erected in 1849. The Baptists have a place of worship, and there are National and charity schools.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
|St Peter and St Edward, Westminster, Roman Catholic|
Parishes in Westminster Rural Deanery in 1903, and Anglican churches in Westminster in 1890/1905 have some information on this and other churches in this historic parish, including records, whether churches are still open, and where they are.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KNIGHTSBRIDGE, a suburban district of London, partly in the parish of Westminster St. Margaret, Westminster, but chiefly in the parishes of Kensington and Chelsea, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, near Hyde Park Corner, and 3 miles W. of St. Paul's, London." (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Westminster St Margaret to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Westminster St Margaret has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ302796 (Lat/Lon: 51.50035, -0.125622), Westminster St Margaret which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)