Compiled by Brian Pears
Select a letter below to go directly to entries starting with that letter
The entries on these pages contain some or all of the following data:-
- Name of colliery or pit and place or district.
- Alternative names.
- Pits or shafts which are part of the colliery.
- Opening date.
- Closing date.
- Ordnance Survey Landranger Sheet Number.
- Grid Reference - 4, 6, 8 or 10-figure.
- Distance in miles (to the nearest half mile) and in kilometres (to the nearest Km) from the nearest of Berwick-upon-Tweed (Royal Border Bridge), Alnwick (Castle), Newcastle-upon-Tyne (Tyne Bridge) or Middlesbrough (Tees Viaduct).
This data is far from complete and additional information is always welcome. I can be contacted at<Brian.Pears[at]bpears.org[dot]uk>. Please do NOT send me queries regarding collieries listed here. Such queries should instead be addressed to the NORTHUMBRIA or the COALMINERS mailing list.