Places in Northumberland
Select a letter below to go directly to places starting with that letter
This is an index of Northumberland parishes, townships, towns, villages and hamlets which existed in the nineteenth century. Each entry includes:-
- A link to the appropriate GENUKI parish page.
- The names of the Registration District and Sub-District which covered the area in the period 1851-1891 - these were used as the basis for census enumeration throughout this period as well as indicating the place where births, deaths and marriages were recorded.
- A link to the address of the modern District Register Office which currently holds records from the area. (This information is not compliled from official sources and may be subject to error.)
The following information will be added to the entries as and when time permits:
- Ordnance Survey Grid Reference and Latitude/Longtitude.
- Ordnance Survey 1:50000 (Landranger) and 1:25000 (Pathfinder, Outdoor Leisure or Explorer)* sheet numbers. For extended areas such as parishes, only the Landranger sheet numbers are given.
- Bearing and Distance in miles (to the nearest half mile) and kilometers (to the nearest kilometer) from Berwick upon Tweed, Alnwick, Newcastle upon Tyne or Hexham, whichever is closest.
* The Pathfinder series has been phased out and replaced by "Outdoor Leisure" and "Explorer" series 1:25000 sheets.